In 1690, the marquis Muti Papazzurri had a maiolica (white tin-glazed earthenware decorated with metallic colours) by Domenico Antonio Muratori with an image of the Blessed Virgin set up in the street. On 9 July 1796 the image, by then known as Maria Santissima Causa Nostrae Laetitiae, was observed to have movement in the pupils. Many pilgrims came to the street.
A small building was erected, and then replaced with the tiny church.
In 1870, the Jesuits took over the church.
On the sides are angels formed as caryatids, which hold of flower vases. They were made by Luigi Simonetti.
The central arch is in white marble with intarsia work, and has two columns with Egyptian-style capitals.
The miraculous image of the Blessed Virgin, painted on a large tile for the marquess Allessandra Papazzurri Savorelli, is placed in a framed recess.