Церковь Санта Мария ди Лорето
Church of Santa Maria di Loreto
- Church dedicated to the Virgin.
- An earlier church on the site was given to the Confraternita dei Fornari, the Guild of Bakers, in 1500 by Pope Alexander VI.
- It was very small, and they had it demolished a few years later to use the site for a bigger church.
- It is served by diocesan clergy
- 26 Piazza Madonna di Loreto
- 00187 Roma
- 06 67 92 235
- Construction of the Renaissance church started in 1507, led by Antonio da Sangallo the younger,and was finished by Jacopo del Duca.
- The dome is crowned by an ususual lantern, known as the 'cricket's cage', designed by Giacomo del Duca in 1582.
- The interior has an octagonal floorplan within the square building, with semicircular chapels in the oblique sides and a deep sanctuary.
- first chapel on the right
- Paolo Rossetti
- second chapel on the right
- The chapel is decorated by Niccolo Circigniani.
- The dome has frescoes by Cesare Mariani.
- The side walls were decorated by Cavaliere d'Arpino in 1630, and shows scenes from the life of the Virgin.
- Virgin and Child with the Blessed House of Loreto
- Andrea Sansovino
- on the entrance tympanum
- Sculpture group.
- The altar is by Gaspare de Vecchi, made in 1628, although it is sometimes attributed to Onorio Longhi.
- It was modified in 1867 by Luca Carimini.
- Antoniazzo Romano (sometimes attributed to Marco Palmezzano)
- Madonna with SS Sebastian and Roch
- 15 в.
shrine to St Expeditus
- There are six statues in the church.
Four of angels are by Stefano Maderno.
The statue of St Susanna was made by Francois Duquesnoy, a Flemish sculptor, in the years 1629...33.
It became a model for many 17th and 18th century sacred sculptures.
The last depicts St Cecilia, and was made by Giuliano Finelli.
- inside the sanctuary, on the left side
- The inscription on the cross he carries says 'Hodie' ('Today'), while he tramples on 'Cras' ('Tomorrow').
- посвящённый предмет:
- The feast of Our Lady of Loreto is celebrated on 10 December.
- Another important feast in the church is the Annunciation of Our Lord on 25 March.