The confraternity was formed in 1535.
The church once had underground burial chambers extending down to the Tiber, where ~ 8.000 bodies were buried during a period of more than 300 years.
In 1886, they were destroyed during the construction of the embankment.
The vaults were decorated with bones in a manner similar to that of the ossuary at Santa Maria della Concezione.
Only one chamber remains, and it is possible to see the morbid decoration, including candelabra made from vertebrae and other small bones.