The church was built for a community founded by the widow Francesca Baglioni of Perugia. She was the daughter of Catharina de Medici and niece of Pope Clement VII, and had been married into the Orsini family. The community was founded on the Rule of St Francis of Sales. Pope Paul V sent three monks from the monastery Santa Maria Maddalena on the Quirinal to introduce the community to Dominican precepts.
In 1853, the convent complex was given to the North American College, which is still there, by Pope Pius IX.
The facade was designed by Carlo Fontana in 1680, on orders from Pope Innocent XI. It was somewhat modified in 1853, but remains more or less as it was in the 17th century. Above the entrance is a bas-relief by Vincenzo Felici.
The Baroque marble and stucco decorations in interior are by Carlo Fontana, made 1710, and were paid for by a nun from a wealthy family.
At the second altar on the left is a depiction of St Michael the Archangel by Francesco Allegrini.